Ege University HIV / AIDS Practice and Research Center (EGEHAUM) was founded in July 2009 and is affiliated with the Rectorate of Ege University.
Counseling services for people living with HIV (Patient Counseling Unit)
- Medical consulting
- Psychological counseling
- Nutritional counseling
- Peer counseling
- Informing people living with HIV
- Training of health workers
- HIV Treatment Bulletin (triannual since 2010)
- Protection and prevention activities
- Scientific research
EGEHAUM serves more than 600 patients as of July 2018.
The operation of EGEHAUM Patient Counseling Unit is as follows:
- HIV-positive patients who first present to the Ege University Medical Faculty of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology Department will be directed to EGEHAUM by the registration officers.
- The center office secretary talks with the patient and gives an appointment for testing and measurements.
- After the test results are available an appointment is made to see the clinician.
- The clinician sees the patient and opens a medical file for the patient.
- If requested by the patient, the patient will be contacted by a peer counselor.
- The patient calls the office secretary and makes an appointment.
- After registering with the hospital system on the appointment day, the patient is seen by the patient advisor.
- The patient's pulse, blood pressure, body weight and waist circumference are measured.
- Routine tests are ordered.
- The patient goes to the lab and gives blood.
- The patient then talks with the doctor to get the medication prescription.
Interpretation of test results and notification to the patient
- Test results usually reach the clinician the next day. The results of some tests may take longer.
- The clinician reviews the results and makes comments.
- If the test results are normal, the patient is not notified.
- If necessary, the patient is called to conduct further tests, repeat the tests, or be referred to other areas of expertise.
Counseling by phone or e-mail
- The center's phone number +90 (232) 390 29 68 is answered by the office secretary or a patient advisor.
- Questions received via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) are directed to the clinician by the office secretary or a patient advisor.
EGEHAUM currently occupies three rooms in the clinical building of Ege University Medical Faculty Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology Department.